Then & Now
The town's history is closely linked with Dalsbruk's ironworks history. During the mid 1600s there was concern in Sweden that the availability of forest in proximity to ironworks would end. Especially in Bergslagen where there were many furnaces and rod iron hammers which required a lot of charcoal. So, the authorities started to promote building new ironworks in areas with extensive forest resources.
1686 the "mint master" Daniel Faxell received a patent for the construction of a blast furnace. The reason for founding a blast furnace here in Dalsbruk was because of the availability of water and wood, and as well a good harbour so that the ore could be transported almost right up to the blast furnace.
1732-1734 Mikael Hising built a rod iron hammer in Björkboda, so that Dals blast furnace could get a natural market for its crude iron. The mill complex Dalsbruk-Björkboda become more characteristic of a great estate. In 1860 a puddle and rolling mills are built on the existing industrial area (then called Skeppsholmen and later called Valsverksholment. From having been a supplier of intermediate goods, Dalsbruk now became a freestanding industrial facility for the refinement of crude iron.
In 1854 an elementary school in Dalsbruk was established with Swedish as the language of instruction. The school was founded by the iron master Volter Ramsay immediately after having taken over the management of Dalsbruk and a year after he became the owner. In 1862 the school became bilingual.
1938 Ab Dalsbruk became in Oy Wärtsiläs Ab's possession. At its peak, in the 1960s, the mill employed about 1280 people. In 1983, operations in the steel mill, foundry, wood room and carpentry were closed down. Iron processing in Dalsbruk was driven by FN Steels (earlier Ovako Dalsbruk) until the summer of 2012 which at the time of closing employed some 200 people.