The bell tower was built in 1752. By the church strait in Hitis there had already been a wooden chapel with a graveyard since the 1200s. There are three votive ships in the church, and a miniature model of a fishing trawler.
The church in Hitis is the second oldest of all intakt churches in Finland. The Chapel congregation received its own vicar and separated into an independent parish in 1861.